The 24-year old Apostolos Angelis, who has already secured his participation in the Winter Olympic Games of PyeongChang 2018 will be the first torchbearer at the Lighting Ceremony that will be held on October 24 in ancient Olympia.
The Olympic Light will be lit at the temple of Hera directly from the sunrays, under the presence of the President of the Hellenic Republic Prokopios Pavlopoulos, the Prime Minister of South Korea Nak-Yon Lee, the President of the International Olympic Committee Thomas Bach, the Deputy Minister for Sports Giorgos Vasiliadis, representatives of the Organizing Committee “PyeongChang 2018” and the new Plenary Session of the Hellenic Olympic Committee with the President Spyros Capralos.
“It is a great honor for me to be chosen as the first torchbearer for the Winter Olympic Games of 2018. It is truly a unique moment that I am looking forward to. I feel very proud and with a unique sense of happiness” says Apostolos Angelis.
The Lighting Ceremony will start at 12 noon with Katerina Lehou, actress as High Priestess and Artemis Ignatiou as the choreographer. The symbol of Olympism, will cover 2.129klm on Greek territory and will arrive at the Acropolis on October 30. 505 torchbearers will participate and 36 welcome ceremonies will be held in 20 Municipalities in 8 days.
The Lighting Ceremony of the Olympic Flame for the Winter Olympics “PyeongChang 2018” will take place in Ancient Olympia, on the 24th of October, at 12.00 local time (CET+1). The Torch Relay in Greek territory, will last seven days and the the Olympic Flame will be handed over to the Organizing Committee “PyeongChang 2018” Winter Olympic Games on the 31st of October, at the Panathenaic Stadium.
ΤΗΕ FIRST TORCHBEARER
Apostolos Aggelis was born in June 24, 1993 in Ioannina, Greece. He is a cross country and biathlon athlete. He is 1.84 and weighs 76kg. He is an athlete of Metsovo SC, a club with a long tradition in winter sports, in Greece.
He has been a national champion in all categories and a Balkan champion. He speaks English and his hobbies are basketball and music. In 2014 he participated in the winter Olympic Games of Sochi.
Aggelis has already qualified for the winter Olympic Games of PyeongChang while this is his second participation in a winter Olympics edition.
PROGRAMME OF THE LIGHTING CEREMONY
11:45 – Closing time for the VIP attendance
12:00 – Opening of the Ceremony
– Olympic Rings: a synthesis
– Olympic Anthem – Hoisting of the Olympic Flag
– National Anthem of South Korea – Hoisting of South Korea’s Flag
– National Anthem of Greece – Hoisting of the Greek Flag
The anthems are performed by the Children’s and Youth Choirs of Lavreotiki
and Markopoulo Municipalities
– “The Light of Olympia”, Takis Doxas’ poem recited by Mr. Yiannis Stankoglou
– Address by the Mayor of Ancient Olympia, Mr. Efthymios Kotzas
– Address by the President of the “PyeongChang” Organising Committee, Mr. Lee Hee-beom
– Address by the President of the International Olympic Committee, Mr. Thomas Bach
– Address by the President of the Hellenic Olympic Committee, Mr. Spyros Capralos
12:25 – Entry of the designated officials in the Temple of Hera
– Ritual of the Lighting Ceremony at the Temple of Hera
– Entry of the High Priestess and the Priestesses into the Ancient Stadium with the Olympic Flame
– Dance performance by the Priestesses
12:50 – Handing over of the Olympic Flame by the High Priestess to the first Torchbearer
– Departure of the first Torchbearer for the Pierre de Coubertin Monument
– Opening of the Olympic Torch Relay